All vehicles registered in New York State are required to get safety and emissions inspections every year.
These inspections are required by law. Please inquire about rates before your appointment as fees can change from year to year.
Commercial Automotive Inc. is a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) approved Official Inspection Station, with certified motor vehicle inspectors.
The inspection will check various systems of your vehicle for safe and proper function:
- Brakes: All components of your breaking system will be checked, including your disks, drums, and rotors. The system must be in good working order. Your inspector will remove one tire (or more) to inspect the system for problems. They will also drive your vehicle to make sure the brakes apply correctly.
- Horn: Your horn will be checked for proper placement and operation.
- Lights: All lights on your vehicle must be correctly mounted, and fully operational. They must not be cracked or broken. This will include your high and low beams, brake lights, turn signals, four ways, and license plate lights (if applicable).
- Major Systems: Your steering will be checked for proper working order and handling. Shocks, chassis, frame, shocks, torsion, and wheel fasteners will all be examined as well.
- Mirrors: Your mirrors will be checked for cracks, breaks, and operation. They must be clear, mounted in the correct spot and any mechanical parts must work.
- Seat Belts: Each seatbelt in your car must be fully functional and in place. There must be no belts missing.
- Tires: Tires will be checked for overall condition and wear. There must be at least 2/32-inch groove space on the most worn parts of your tires for them to be deemed safe.
- Windshield: Your vehicles windshield must be intact and in good condition. Your wipers must be operational and your wiper blades must be in good shape.
- Your emissions inspection will depend on where you live and what year your car was made. Vehicles that are 26 years or older are exempt, as are historical or vintage (licensed as such) vehicles, or have electric or diesel engines. Please note that vehicles over 8,500 pounds with diesel engines are subject to random roadside or annual inspections.
- If your vehicle was manufactured with a catalytic converter, positive crankcase ventilation system, fuel inlet restrictor, exhaust gas recirculation valve, evaporative emission control, or an air injection system, they will be tested.